Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Scything for beginners...


Hi Transitioners,
My name is Beth Tilston and I am a scything tutor. I am writing to gauge your interest in joining forces to run a one or two day scything course in your area either before the end of October this year or from May onwards next year (due to grass growth). Scything, as I am sure you know, is a way of cutting grass and weeds using a blade and human power rather than power tools such as strimmers and lawnmowers. A scythe is useful for lawns, allotments, community orchards - all the way to meadows and mountainsides. I am looking for appropriate areas in which to run courses. An appropriate area would be somewhere which had access to a reasonable amount of grass which isn't regularly mown short, plus somewhere with nettles, docks, thistles etc to provide variety. I teach groups of up to six and can work with another tutor for larger groups. I provide all the equipment (including safety equipment) necessary and am fully insured. I am also available to do demonstrations.

Scything is a skill that takes time to learn but a skillful scyther can work as fast as a strimmer. Here’s a video of Peter Vido, a scyther in America, showing the versatility of a scythe. Scythes are also:
  • Zero carbon
  • Quiet - better for residential areas and for the hearing of the person cutting the grass - and for general peace and quiet!
  • Safe - Though it does involve using sharp blades, there are fewer health and safety risks in the long term than mechanical devices. For example, there is no risk of whitefinger or any other vibration related ailments.
  • Fuel free - and therefore cheaper in the long term
  • Easy (and interesting) to maintain
  • Requires skill to use and therefore makes the job interesting

Please email me at bethtilston@googlemail.com or phone me on 07818474712 to discuss options.

Thanks

Beth Tilston

No comments:

Post a Comment